Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My Oh My! Sweet Apple Pie!

  I've been planning on making a pie lately and was having trouble trying to decide which type to make. Since it was my very first completely homemade pie I decided to go with the all American apple pie.

  Although I don't really need an excuse to make one, I thought it was pretty neat that yesterday was Pi Day( π or 3.14). So I dedicate my pie to Pi Day :) On a side note and totally separate from my pie story, I would also like to point out that Pi Day is celebrated on 3/14, cute right?

  Anyway, I went in search of an apple pie filling recipe and, as always, turned to my Fannie Farmer cookbook. I decided to go with the simple and basic recipe as it was already later in the day than I would have preferred and had to unfortunately rush things along. Well, rushing did not pay off, I messed my top crust up and had to make another(which is not exactly the quickest thing in the world to do) and that one wasn't quite the prettiest either. So I put it in the oven and then I remember... I forgot to put the butter dots in!  I ended up pulling the pie out and shoving as many little pads of butter as I could in the slits of the pie.. Needless to say at this point I was so frazzled and frustrated I just wanted it to all be over with. I wanted a piece of my hard work so that it would all be worth it...




                               
                                                                                    and it was....



   The moral of the story is: Always give yourself plenty of time to accomplish your dish! Otherwise mistakes WILL happen! Just ask me. :) It may not be the prettiest pie in the world, but it was good, and it was mine, from start to finish and that I am proud of! :)

Apple Pie
  As from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook 12th edition, page 579
  • 9" two crust pie pastry
  • ¾- 1 cup sugar
  • ½ teas. salt
  • 1 teas. cinnamon
  • ½ teas. nutmeg
  • 1½ T flour
  • 6 large, firm, tart apples
  • 2 T butter
  Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a 9" pie pan with half of pastry dough. Mix the sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour in a large bowl. Peel, core, and slice apples and toss them in the sugar mixture, coating them well. Pile them into the lined pan and dot with butter. Roll out the top crust and drape it over the pie. Crimp the edges and cut several vents in the top. Bake 10 minutes , then lower the heat to 350°F and bake 30-40 minutes more or until the apples are tender when pierced with a skewer and the crust is browned. Serve alone or á la mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment