Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sunday Sweets and Monday's Meal

 Well, Sunday I gave into another sweet craving and made something that Bob loves and I hadn't had in a LONG time... Banana Pudding!! It was soo good! All this cooking I have been doing lately has had a lot to do with the food I grew up eating, and in the Sparkman family, banana pudding is a staple I remember always being there as a child. I wasn't a huge fan of it growing up, I just liked helping my aunts make it :) Putting the cookie layers on was my favorite part because we always got a few for ourselves! Anyway, I planned poorly and ran off to the grocery without having a good idea of everything I needed so I just used the recipe on the box of pudding... still delicious! You can find the recipe I used HERE. Of course I added more Nilla wafers than called for but how can you not?! That's the best part :)





















 Monday was an experimental day for me... I made my first pie crust! It was actually very good! I was so proud of myself, lol, I was so afraid it wouldn't turn out but it was perfect and flaky and delicious. I made a chicken pot pie that was LOOSELY based on a recipe I found HERE. By loosely I mean about the only thing I kept the same was the chicken and the Philly cooking creme. :) I know this is the second post I have done on the the new Philly creme but, it's pretty stinkin good and  I've had 2 $1.50 off coupons meaning I paid .98 each for them which also makes it a good cheap meal, which is always nice. I decided I want to try this recipe but I wanted to make it more heartfelt and put a bit more effort into it. More of myself, rather than a cookie-cutter recipe. That's why I made my own crust and changed the veggies. Afterall, that is what this whole blog is about, getting back to my roots. I can assure you that neither of my grandmothers would ever use a store bought pie crust, so why should I? Why can't I hold myself to the same standard, when it's just as easy to make my own? So thanks to my Fannie Farmer cookbook, I did...

2 comments:

  1. Love the new layout! It's so "you"! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It took me a while but I think I finally have it how I want it. :)

    ReplyDelete