Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bread and Butter!

 Well, my bread FINALLY turned out! I found a recipe for hamburger buns and made those about 2 weeks ago and thought...,"This recipe would be good for loaf bread also." So I decided to give it a try. I also made some fresh butter to go with it because; after all, what is better with fresh bread than fresh butter?


Bread
  • 2 C. warm milk (110°F/ 45°C)
  • ¼ C. margarine, melted
  • ¼ C warm water
  • ¼ C white sugar
  • 2 (.25 oz.) packages instant yeast
  • 2 teas. salt
  • 6 C all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour), or as needed
    In a large bowl, stir together the milk, margarine (I actually used some of the fresh butter I made rather than margarine), warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand about 5 minutes or until the yeast gets bubbly.

    Mix in the salt, and gradually stir in the flour until you have a soft dough. Will be very stretchy and sticky.

    Preheat oven to 375°.

    Turn out onto floured surface and knead slightly (3 or 4 turns). Shape into loaf and place in bread pan. Let rise for approximatley 20 minutes. Bake bread at 375° for approximately 30 minutes or until top of loaf is golden brown and bottom of pan sounds hollow when tapped. Turn out onto wire rack to cool. Serve while warm with butter, honey, or jam of your choice.

    This recipe can also be used to make hamburger buns. Instead of forming onto loaf, split into equal 12 pieces and form into balls. Place 2-3 inches apart on baking sheets and let rise for 20 min. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool slightly, then split them in half a horizontally to fill with your favorite burger!


Butter

There is a great page to show you how to make butter. You can find the link HERE. It is pretty much exactly how I do mine.



There is not much better than this treat here!


Happy Cooking!

3 comments:

  1. Now THAT sounds good! Warm bread and butter is hard to beat...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great!! I vowed last week that I was never going to buy a loaf of bread again. I also bought a 25 lb. sack of flour (prepared to experiment and fail, repeatedly). I told Steve I was going to perfect it if it took all 25 lbs. of flour to do so! That is actually going to be one of my weekend projects....bread! Hardly anything is as good as homemade bread (and butter!) Never made buns before. How did they turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was great! I even made a meatloaf sandwich earlier and that was delicious as well. :)
    Liana, the buns were good also. The original recipe calls for 25 pieces balled but they were only big enough to have miniature burgers. So that's why I suggested only twelve pieces. That should make a big enough bun to hold a normal sized burger.
    I have had a lot of trouble with my bread as I said in an earlier blog, but this is a quick yeast recipe so I don't really know why this rose so much better. If you do try this recipe, I just want to let you know that this is a dense bread. I was surprised how heavy the pan was last night when I pulled it out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete