Sunday, February 27, 2011

Dandy Dumplings and Hot Patata Salad

  So, I started thinking about what I wanted to fix this weekend on Thursday... I flip flopped back and forth on a couple of things and then.... Dad mentioned chicken and dumplings and I couldn't get them outta my head! So... now they're in my stomach :) This was my second attempt on chicken and dumplings, the first ended horribly about 5 yrs ago and I've been afraid since then. But I had to have them today, so I carried on. This time was a sweet success!! Bob can't get enough and I am so pleased with how they came out. I didn't have a whole chicken, only breast so I cooked that and added some bouillon for a bit more flavor. Here's the recipe I used...

Chicken and Dumplings

Cook chicken or chicken parts in water to which is added onion, celery, salt and bouillon if needed for flavor.

Cut chicken in bite size pieces and add to broth.
        (I just pulled the chicken instead of cutting it up.)

Mix 1 cup sifted flour with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder.

Stir in 1/2 cup milk ans 2 T oil, mix lightly.

Drop dumplings in boiling broth, cover tightly and steam 12-15 minutes.

   This recipe is from a church cookbook that a customer of mine at Office Depot gave me a couple of years ago. I have used this cookbook a lot since then and haven't been let down with a recipe yet. Thanks to you Pastor _______. I'm sorry I don't remember your name but you have a wealth of good cooks in your congregation! :)

   While I was at looking for a recipe for the dumplings I came across another recipe I have been looking for since I moved to Western KY, Hot Potato Salad. There is a local resteraunt that serves it, but only occasionally, it's soo good! Now, I don't need them! I can have it whenever I want! Hope you guys will give it a try.. :)

Hot Potato Salad 

6-7 medium potatoes, cooked in skins (microwaveable)
3 boiled eggs, chopped
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 lg. onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups salad dressing
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 T prepared mustard

    Slice potatoes with skins, add eggs and onion. mix together. In a separate bowl mix salad dressing, sugar and mustard. Pour over potato mixture and  stir. Put in 2 qt. casserole dish and top with crumbled bacon. Bake at 350° for 30 min. uncovered. Serves 10-12

    You can fix with or without the skins on the potatoes... I prefer without, but however you like is fine :)

   I'm off tomorrow too and have some apples I need to use before they go bad. I'm think fried apple pies.... anybody else got any suggestions??

3 comments:

  1. The potato salad looks awesome! Steve won't eat it, so I don't ever make it just for us. I've never had hot potato salad, but that's the only way Dad likes it; apparently that's how Granny used to make hers. Maybe I'll make some to give-away...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. The weekend is here.... it's time to do some cookin'!!! I'm on a big Italian kick, but what's on your weekend menu???

    ReplyDelete