Monday, February 21, 2011

Introduction....

      I have been cooking since I was old enough to stand alone, in a chair, beside my grandmother. I have always enjoyed cooking, but have often taken the "safe" route... making things I know without fail or boxed and processed foods. Don't get me wrong , those things are still nice to have around in a time crunch or on a "lazy day", but I have discovered the better side of cooking, scratch cooking.
      Growing up in the hills of eastern Kentucky I was surrounded by great cooks, all great scratch cooks. Somewhere along the way, I strayed from my heritage of, "fresh is better". My grandmothers ALWAYS had  gardens, as a child I remember working with them; planting beans with one and hoeing potatoes with the other. The excitement of seeing how many potatoes we could find and then the reward of fresh new potatoes on the dinner table! Yumm! Growing up with these wonderful influences has made me realize there are great experiences to be had in the kitchen, not all successes but learning included. I live in the city, so no garden for me, but I'm sure I'll find a way to make due.
     My journey is not just about getting back to basics, but also the discovery and the confidence that comes with creating something you never knew you could make. I love trying new recipes and skills, unfortunately my work schedule does not always agree... making me a weekend housewife in the kitchen. I cook almost every night, with the occasional "fend for yourself" night. I just don't like to try new recipes during the week for fear of massive failure or meltdown. My dear husband can testify there have a been a few of both, probably more emotional meltdowns from me than anything though. :)
     At any rate, I have come to the conclusion that it is time to get back to my roots and discover new experiences, all at the same time.You are more than welcome to come along for the ride... welcome to my adventure!

4 comments:

  1. One bonus to living in the city is that some have wonderful farmers markets. That's a great way to get freshly grown, in-season produce... and when's it's in season I always try to buy from a local farmer.... win-win. Even though I have a garden, I still don't grow everything I need... FIND A FARMERS MARKET!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He speaks the truth! The ones out here are WONDERFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know. I wish there was one close by but I'd have to drive 30 minutes to Owensboro. There was a rumor going around that they were thinking of opening one in the spring so I have my fingers crossed... You would think in a farm town there would be a farmers market... :o/

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was a stand on the side of the road that I bought from a lot last summer. He had HUGE green tomatoes. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete