Thursday, February 24, 2011

Great Scratch Biscuits

    As I said before, I was all about processed foods. I even bought the canned or frozen biscuits. (Gasp!! I know right?...) Well, it was soo much easier than making them every time I wanted one, like on a workday and a sausage biscuit for breakfast sounded great.Until I got to thinking one day, "Why don't I make my own and freeze them like the Pillsbury dough boy does?" So that is just what I did...  I followed the recipe below and simply placed them on a pan and stuck them in the freezer instead of the oven. When they were frozen I took them out and put them a freezer bag and stuck them back in the ice box. I have been enjoying fresh biscuits for two weeks now :) It's great... they still take the same amount of time to cook, same temperature, everything! I love that I can make them on a weekend when I have nothing else going on and throw them in the oven whenever a craving pops up :) Some of you seasoned cooks may have known this little gem already but for all the beginners out there, just a tip I thought I would share, after all, it took me years to figure it out. :)

This is the link to the recipe I currently use for biscuits... Always open to trying new ones though if anyone has any suggestions...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/JPs-Big-Daddy-Biscuits/Detail.aspx

J.P.'s Big Daddy Biscuits

This recipe only makes 6 biscuits so be sure to double or triple to accommodate the amount you need...

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/3 cup shortening
  • 1 cup milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
  3. Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times. Pat or roll dough out to 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a large cutter or juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat until all dough is used. Brush off the excess flour, and place biscuits onto an ungreased baking sheet.
  4. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges begin to brown.  
Prep Time:
30 Min
Cook Time:
15 Min
Ready In:
45 Min
 

1 comment:

  1. My granny (also a true-blue eastern Kentuckian)used to cut them with lard instead of shortening.... I might try that.

    ReplyDelete